Monday, November 12, 2012

Thanksgiving Time

I found these questions as part of a Sunday link-up but obviously it's not Sunday.  But I love Thanksgiving so I think it's necessary to write about it! I don't know about all of you but this holiday got here so quickly.  I absolutely love November and December and the feelings of joy that surrounds these two months.  It smells like Christmas and feels like my favorite time of the year.  I love the sights and smells.  I've already started my Christmas shopping which has been fun. I have Christmas cards ready to write.  I will likely be immersed fully in Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving.  I hope that you feel a sense of love and light during this time of the year.
 
Favorite Thanksgiving Memory

There are two that stick out in my mind.  One is a happy memory, one, well not so much.  The not-so-much memory was my first year of high school.  I was in the marching band and it is tradition to play against our rivals on Thanksgiving morning.  That Thanksgiving day was rainy and muddy and we couldn't even march because you couldn't pick your feet up with how muddy it was. I was carrying cymbals for playing in the stands and as I was walking from the truck to the stands, I slipped and fell right on my butt with the cymbals.  I then proceeded to yell the big kahoona of curse words (think starting with F...) as loud as possible.  It was the first time I'd ever said that word in my life and right at the moment when I said it, there was a time-out so the whole sideline heard.  The cymbals were covered in mud.  And I had mud and grass everywhere.  My uniform was horrible.  It was so embarassing.
 
The happy memory also has to do with a Thanksgiving Day football game during high school only this time it was my last year of high school. I was the drum major that year and it would be my last football game conducting so it was a little bittersweet.  It ended up being beautiful weather and my whole extended family came to the game.  They brought pom poms and foam fingers and were more embarassing that I can even believe.  But it was the best memory of my entire time in high school and in marching band.  

Favorite Thanksgiving Food
Everything is delicious.  I love all the stuff that my mom makes.  She makes an awesome pineapple stuffing which is a new favorite.  I also love jellied cranberry sauce.  And of course pumpkin pie.

What is a Thanksgiving Tradition you and your family have?
When I was in high school, the tradition was going to the football game since I was a part of the band.  Now that I'm no longer in the band, the tradition is for me to watch the Macy's parade.  Although the past few years have been a bust because my dad has taped the wrong one so I haven't gotten to see it.  But this year-barring any DVR issues, I will be watching the parade.
What are you most looking forward to this Thanksgiving?
I am looking so forward to just being home.  I have been incredibly busy with my job and I work each day during the week so the weekends are my only time to head home.  But I have had loads of things scheduled on weekends so it just hasn't been easy to make it home.  I haven't been home since the end of September. My family has visited several times so I'm not missing them worse than normal but I miss my dog and my house and my bed and my mom's cooking. It'll be great to be home for an extended stay. I also can't wait to put up Christmas decorations with my mom on Black Friday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment